Saturday, July 10, 2010

What would Bruce Lee say?


Ip Man

First let me say I have no idea how the title is pronounced.
I bought this on Blu Ray, being swayed by some good reviews on Amazon and the fact I managed to get it delivered for under a fiver.

After bunging it in the PS3 and watching the trailers first it was really touch and go if I was going to watch this. The trailers were so dire I thought the film must be equally of poor quality.
But, I went for it. The sound seemed to default itself to 2.0 Cantonese, but there is a 5.1 soundtrack, also in Cantonese and I couldn't find any options for subtitles, so thought again I might be in trouble.

OK, so I started the film which is the true story of Ip Man, a Wing Chun Martial Artist, probably if he's known to anyone, which I doubt (I'd never heard of him either) it's because he later in life was the teacher of Bruce Lee.
The film starts in 1935, in a small town called Foshan. Everyone is pretty well off, it seems everyone has plenty of time every day to go to one of the many different martial Arts Schools and practice, which leads to a lot of interesting scenes as different Masters want to spar together to see who really is best.
Then 1937 comes and brings the Japanese invasion and the film along with Ip Man takes on a more serious feel.

The film quality is superb. You won't be dissapointed with the Blu Ray. The sound is functional, which I find I didn't notice too much as I was busy reading the subtitles (which automatically appeared for somewhere-burnt in?).
The main star, Donnie Yen is just superb as Ip. You very quickly forget this is a movie and get sucked in to the life of 1930's China. Apparently Sammo Hung directed the action, not the film, and it really shows he knew what he was doing.
I'm not going to tell you what happens and spoil it for you, but if you like a superbly acted film with plenty of extremley skilled fight scenes (no flying around wire work here), then this is for you.

The film won 2009 HK Film Awards in both the acting/directing and technical categories and consequently won for Best Action Director and Best Film.

Absolute quality film.
Rated top marks!

No comments:

Post a Comment