Thursday, May 16, 2013

What would Jerry Maguire say?


From my last post you may surmise I am moving house. It's supposed to be one of the most stressful things you can do in life. Things like this story make it so.... We travelled 600 miles to see some houses. Liked one, spoke to the owner and told her we would make an offer of £X amount, to which she agreed and said 'when I say I am accepting that offer I stick to my word'.
It did remind me of that scene in Jerry Maguire (remember the Dad, pictured above? 'My word is my bond')
So, we get the letter from her estate agents saying the offer has been accepted, and I get my solicitors on the case.
Next day, we get an e-mail from the estate agents, apparently the ladies son thinks we should pay another 2K !!!
So I ring the estate agents and ask if there is a daughter who is going to ask for a bit more too, or maybe a neighbour? I thought we had made an agreement that had been accepted...hadn't they just sent us the acceptance letter?
So yesterday I get home and there is a message on the phone, the seller is now adamant that we must pay the extra 2K.
Forget that, I'm not buying.
To me it's like being in the supermarket, having your shopping totted up at the till and someone behind you in the queue saying to the cashier she should charge me a bit more. What's it to do with him? But then, the cashier does start adding more on because the bloke behind me is a relative of hers.

Man, just like that scene from Jerry.
I hope I'm not bitter, but I hope the house doesn't sell now and they have to offer it for about 20K less...then I may, just may consider it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment