Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What would Peter & Jane say?


I don't remember Janet & John, when I was a nipper growing up in the early 70's I had Peter & Jane. Peter throws the ball, Jane throws the ball. Peter catches the ball...you get the drift.

Anyway, I've been thinking about those days at Marshfield Junior School, a small rural school in a small village called Castleton, South Wales, because at work wev'e been taking about Parents evening and the progress our own kids are now making at reading.
And you know what, I remember something weird.
As I said, I started with Peter & Jane, but after that, there was no Horrid Henry or Harry potter for us (or me, as I have no idea what other kids were given to read) I was given novels! It's true. The next book I remember being given is The Legend of Beowulf & Grendel. And after that a strange story of a man who travelled to the world of cats (by H.P. Lovecraft I think).

I think the memory is accurate, even if it is quite old, because as I'm writing this I've just remembered some of the books my parents bought me for Christmas whilst I was at that school. Books like Alexander Dumas The Man in the Iron Mask, and The Black Arrow.

Times have certainly changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment